Saturday, July 4, 2009

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW

I just love the big-ole State of Texas. We have some of the best winter riding in the United States, and a wide selection of roads to ride. We have 100-mile stretches out across the Big Bend area that have no turns or side roads at all if you are inclined to check out the top speed of your bike. In our hill country, we have twisties that will put a smile on the face of any hard core canyon craver. Maybe your thing is dirt roads, way too many to cover in a lifetime. But there is one more thing that we have---HEAT. WOW, can it get hot in this state!

Today 10 of us went for a frolic in the outback on our street bikes. We started the ride off with and finished it off with tree-covered twisty country roads and in between these we rode some amazing high-speed sweepers that kept us on our toes.

You might remember my blog titled CLUTCHED IN THE JAWS OF WINTER, where I described what I wear in the winter. But the thing that I want to share with you now is how I and my buds stay alert and comfortable in this 102 degree Texas heat. I start off by leaving my Alpine Stars on the shelf – fabulous boot but way too hot for summer. I instead wear my Red Wings that have a steel toe, steel shank, no liner and they breathe. I wear mesh pants and jacket from FirstGear. Under the pants just my whitey tightys—can I say that here?—sure I can, it’s my blog. Under the jacket I wear a mesh athletic shirt. Just before I depart for the ride, I soak two CoolMax wet vests and put each in a one-gallon zip lock bag, throw them in the saddle bag, and use them just after lunch one at a time. This really works, and here is another little trick you need to try. Call me crazy, and plenty have, but each time the group stops for gas or rest I look around and nearly always find a garden hose on the building. Take the hose and soak your mesh pants and jackets completely, this is a great way to have air-conditioning for about another hour as the wind and heat dries them out.

Ride safe and ride often—but remember, riding safe also eliminates a lot of options.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,

    I heard you're getting a new Harley from the dealer in Ft. Worth. Will this replace the KLR or the ST?

    Enjoy the new Harley lifestyle.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIKE MIKE MIKE--some one is blowing smoke up your dress if you think I'd do something like that...expose the rummer monger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lee,

    It sounds like your KLR day's are limited. I heard from some of the other members of your dual-sport group that you are seriously considering getting a gold-wing instead.

    Come join us in Dallas for our Gold Wing member group.

    You're right, dual-sporting is too much at our age.

    See ya in DFW,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to ride if you have many companion. You can feel the adrenalin rush and enjoy the driving moment across the island if your friends or bike organization has bike driving cruise.

    ReplyDelete