Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ten Hours of Therapy


The first thing one of my scooter trash buddies said was “10 hours isn’t enough, you will need more”…HEY I have feelings too.

I got up early this morning with an agenda to do an exploration ride on the KLR to see if I could find some good Dualsport roads to add to my repertoire. The plan was to work all the dirt roads to the Southwest of Glenrose, Texas, for about 100 miles. 10 hours and 325 miles later, I’m back home with a smile and some new roads to share with my scooter trash friends.

My riding bud, Steve Plunkett, who was going to help me, called yesterday to see if he needed to wear his waterproof boots or not – no, I replied, I’m not. Seven miles into the ride, Steve is laying on his side in the middle of a river crossing, wet up to his neck. How’s your waterproof underwear working for you, Steve? I spent the rest of the day hearing about how his wet underwear was chapping his butt. Seems a lot of riders who ride with me go home chapped one way or the other. We spent the next 10 hours working the roads and found some jewels. We found dirt roads that twisted and turned for mile after mile.

As we rounded a corner on one of the many roads, we saw a sign that said ROAD CLOSED AHEAD. Being the type of guy who obeys all signs, I turned around and started out the way we came in.  NOT!  Let me see the hands of all you Dualsport bikers out there who would turn around. That’s what I thought, NONE of you, outlaws all of you…remind me to never go riding with ya’ll. My curiosity was really starting to build, wondering what was ahead.

As we proceeded down the road, it got more overgrown on the sides, and then the road got narrower, and then there were weeds starting to grow up in the road. This is a good sign, I thought to myself. Then, there it was, the most beautiful bridge you have ever seen. Standing there in the outback of Texas, old but proud of the years of service that it had provided for the many tractors and model A’s and T’s that had crossed her. The rusted metal and rotten boards did not take away from her years of service and beauty. As I approached her, I could see where some of the boards had fallen some 50 feet to the river below due to rot. Steve and I both got off our bikes and looked at each other with big smiles on our faces.


Steve stuck in the cedars...said he was chasing a bear...

As we started to walk across the old bridge, she creaked and shuttered with delight to be back in service, if for only a little while. As we walked along her worn out and rotten wood slats, we could see all the way to the river between our feet. On the other side, the road continued on through the woods, inviting us. As Steve and I looked at each other, no words were said, but it was clear—I will if you will! We mounted up our bikes, and as we started across, the boards under our wheels popped and moved. Safely on the other side, I took one last look at the grand old lady as we rode off into the woods.  I was thinking about bringing my riding buddies back here to see this. Enjoy the pictures. REL #54

1 comment:

  1. Robert, I sent you an email regarding your Yankee flat track racer. Please reply to tvincent5@nycap.rr.com.
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete