Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Can You Hear the Banjos?

Well, my friends, it's been awhile since we spoke, but the two wheels have still been turning. One of the many highlights of the year for me is the Hillbilly Dualsport in Arkansas each April. This ride is put on by my friends in Kansas, David Hemphill and Larry McGillivary. These guys are a great asset to the Dualsport community.

This year's ride was, as in the past, one heck of a blast, with fellowship, deep water, rocky trails, magnificent scenery, and the best bologna sandwich at Turner's Bend. One great time in the mountains of Arkansas!
The official ride is on Friday and Saturday, but as usual, we arrived a day early to do a little pre-ride warmup. On Friday, we had a turnout of about 70 riders. David and Larry held a riders meeting, then the riders joined groups according to ride level and pace: Picture Takers, Medium Pace, and my group, which is fondly referred to as the Over-Caffeinated Bunch (O.C.B.). :)

Friday was a wonderful day, with mild temperatures and sunshine. At 8:00 a.m., the groups started to roll out for a tour of the Arkansas mountains on the forestry roads and backroads. The night before, there was a large amount of rain, so the creeks were a real challenge at points. Fifteen miles into the ride, we encountered a creek that couldn't have been crossed in a john-boat. Where else can you have an adventure in every mile except on a motorcycle? I just love it.

Thank goodness for GPS. Using the GPS, I was able to lead the O.C.B. 5 miles to the east, then back on track on the other side of the swollen creek. As the day progressed, we encountered a number of challenges and adventures. I had a newbie in my group this year, and I always enjoy sharing in their excitement. About 150 miles into our 200-mile ride, I had a flat on the rear. As I parked my KLR and stepped off my bike, the newbie ran up to me, and with a concerned look on his face, asked, "What are we going to do now?!" With a smile, I said, "Watch this." Twenty-two minutes later, we drove off with a new tube installed. I just loved his response: "Man, I need to get some more tools!" You know, that might be a good blog -- what to carry into the mountains and outback.

Well, to wrap up, all I can say is, 450 miles in two days left us all with a feeling of peace and accomplishment, and plenty of stories to talk about as we drove back to the great State of Texas. Enjoy the pictures. Be sure to look at the slideshow to the right, and double click for larger pictures. Thanks, Brad, for the great pics.

9 comments:

  1. REL, it encourages me greatly to see that the older bunch can still have fun like that! Hope I can have that much fun when I get as old as you, but then, I'll never be as old as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you but I am ready to wear out another set of tires anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep--me too, that was a blast. REL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi REL! I like the way the rear wheel comes off without the sprocket. My last dual-sport (back in the 70's ya had to break the chain. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which Mike is this???? Let"s Ride

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way you narrated the whole story, I can clearly tell that you had so much fun! In spite of the flat tire, you were still able to find joy and fulfillment in continuing the ride. That is an amazing experience to keep and retell to your family when you go back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, thanks for the comment.....A flat tire is a inconvenience, but that is a part of dual sporting and it adds some extra adventure to it. I love all that motorcycling holds. Have a Merry Christmas. REL

      Delete
  7. A flat tire is just a challenge. Good thing you still managed to push through with your ride! Anyway, what really matters is the journey itself and I’m sure that you really enjoyed it very much! I just hope that you won’t experience such inconveniences next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There’s always a challenge that we have to overcome! Anyway, you were able to finish safe and sound, that’s good enough. You may lose now but I’m sure in time, you’ll have your own moment! Keep up the spirit!

    ReplyDelete