Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Bridges of Madison County or...A Bridge Too Far?

NOT! Would you believe a few bridges in Johnson County? Last week, I sent out an email to see if there were any brave souls who wanted to help me explore for some additional dirt roads to add to the Dualsport ride that I have put together over the last 4 years. I now have the DS ride up to 275 miles, and it takes about 12 hours to complete, including meals. All of this is just south of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.
I set out with the help of my GPS, the Roads of Texas Maps Atlas, and two ride buddies (Larry & Jerry). It's hard to gather a crowd of riders when the ride starts in 33 degree weather...can you say "GERBING"? I know I can. :) We met for breakfast, made our plans and struck off for the outback of Texas.

This time of year in Texas is perfect for Dualsport riding, with the cool temps, the falling leaves. The colors and the smells just make you feel so alive as you cruise in and out of the sunlight on our beautiful backroads. We continued our exploring, which also entailed a few turnarounds and back-the-other-ways. On a ride like this, you never know what will be around the next corner: a deer, a pig....a cowboy in his pickup....

It was kind of interesting to have a big buck deer jump out in front of us and start running down the dirt road in front of us rather than just crossing the road. Well, that's just what happened. I followed the deer at a speed of about 30 mph, and he just stayed on the road. I have these brain farts where something shorts out between the ears and I come up with these great ideas. I decided that if the deer was going the same way or place as we were, I should race him to see just how fast he could run. I kicked the KLR down one gear and caught up with the deer. Now, here we are at 50 mph running with a wild deer down a narrow dirt road. Sanity started to creep back into my brain, and I thought, "What if the deer decides to turn right?", which was where I was at. As I backed out of the throttle, the deer made a sharp left, jumped the fence and ran to tell his friends how he strapped it on a KLR, which really isn't saying much. If I had my helmet cam on, this could have turned into an episode of "Motorcycle Jackass".

Oh well, all in all this was a good day. Wait a minute -- any day on a motorcycle is a good day! Take a look at the slide show on the right, then wipe the drool from your mouth.

Tune in next week for a story titled "Robert E. Lee and the Yankee". I'm sure Allen Jackson will appreciate this one.

Ride safe & ride often! (But riding safe does eliminate a lot of options.) Click on the Dualsport slideshow on the right side of this page for more pictures of our adventure.


The Little General

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun.... maybe I can talk Bobby out of that KLR permanently!

    BW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous. I wanted to ride that day but work kept me away. Thanks for the pictures to keep those of us who could not go waiting for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous, the answer to your question is---KLR650 is the dualsport bike that Kawasaki has been manufacturing for about 25 years or so. It's a motorcycle that is quite versatile in that you can use it on both street and dirt rides. They are quite popular for that reason and also cheap compared to other DS bikes. I have owned 3 of them over the years and I still stand by the belief that they aren't the best trail bikes or the best street bikes, but a whole lot of fun to ride.If you look close at the pics in my post you will see that is what all 3 of us are riding. Thanks again for the question. By the way, what part of the world do you live in? Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, I enjoy your blog, it is as close as I can get to riding some times. Keep the ride reports comming with lots of pics, they are great.
    Gary in Midland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gary thanks for the kind words and support. REL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, reading the story about the deer kinda reminds me of the time around May or maybe June 68 when you and I were street riding with our then girlfriends on back. We rode out thru the back roads of Colleyville ( then it was out in the country ) I was on my 350 Yamaha, you on the 500 twin Suzuki that Johnny Allen had given you to road race. We had just left my house and were heading back to Hurst, it had already gotten dark. You pulled up beside me and we decided to race down the country road. I was in a little lower gear and got a little jump on the Suzuki, but the big 500 got to going on the big end and you pulled past me,,,,,we were doing about 70 maybe 80 by then. You glanced back at me and smiled ( I could see your big grin in my headlight ) and I was lookin at you grinnin when Cheri, my girlfriend, screamed !!! I looked up, and we were heading into a 90 degree left at mach 1. I locked em down, and thankfully, you looked up and locked em down too, just in the nick of time !!!! Wow,,, that was a close one !!! Young and foolish,, but man did we have fun riding back then !! We still are having fun Robert, doing the same things we did back then, maybe, hopefully with a little better sense and judgement !!! I guess I need to get my R75 BMW going so I can ride a little with you guys. My 600 Shadow stays ready too. I have a couple pieces of property southwest of Cleburne, so I'm familiar with a lot of the back roads out that way too. Loco Coyote is a way cool place that's kinda a favorite of ours too. Keep in touch Robert. joewjoiner@yahoo.com Sorry I didn't recognize you right away at the Dalio thing last July. In my mind, you still had long hair and a big mustache !! Sure was wanting to get a picture of you, me, and Lutz together, for it was 40 years to the month that we three raced the Texas State Scrambles out in Mansfield. You won the 250 class on your 250 BSA, I was 2nd on my 2 pipe CZ, and maybe Lutz was 3rd, or maybe Minnono on the Montesa. I have a DVD with that race on it that James Naler made from 8mm film. I'll try to burn you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, how really good it is to hear from you. You are not going to believe the post that I'm posting today called a Love story--It kinda makes you a prophet. The problem is that there were so many good times in both our memories that we will never be able to write about them all. Johnny Allen is one of my upcoming stories and I have some neat pics that Reva gave me after he died. Hope to see you at the Iron horse reunion if not sooner. Robert/Littlegeneral

    ReplyDelete