Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Robert E. Lee and The Yankee

Whoa ….as your new president says, “Let us come together.” Well, that’s what happened when I had the chance to work on a little project called the Yankee Half-Miler. There are probably very few of you who even remember the short life of the Yankee (1969 – 1972). It originally was sold as what we call today a Dualsport – street legal trail bike. The bike was kind of different from the start since it was a 500cc twin cylinder 2 stroke, and ugly as a newborn.

Now what prompted this little stroll down memory lane was when Bob M. dropped me an email and invited me to go with him just north of town to his friend Ed’s shop. Ed is a very interesting motorcycle enthusiast. Ed has a huge workshop in his back yard which has at least 200 motorcycles from the past. Can you say BSA, CZ, Hodaka, Bultaco, and oh yes, Yankee? As I stumbled around like a blind dog in a meathouse looking at all the neat bikes, I came across the weathered 500cc Yankee. Man, did the stories and BS start to fly.

I remember when the ugly beast arrived back in 1971, and all the measuring, cutting, welding, and fabricating started. This was going to be a labor of love. We worked everyday all day long for about a month before we came up with something looking like a half-miler. The test proved that this would work, much to our surprise. This monster had tons of horsepower and a wide power band. It was winter and the pro half-mile races didn’t start until spring, so we made a fateful decision to convert the half-miler into a TT Scrambler since the Astrodome TT National was just 6 weeks away. We installed front brakes and moved one of the two expansion chambers from the right side to the left and voila – a TT Scrambler. NOT. As it turned out, with all our half-mile mods, the thing just didn’t work as planned on the tight left and right turns inside the Dome. Come spring, the Yankee was loaded up and taken east for the opening of the half-mile season.

I was able to race this bike most of a season before Yankee stopped production and fell victim to slow production and newer designs that were much lighter. Oh well, as Sgt. Joe Friday would say, “Just another story of a million in the big city.” I’ve included some pictures of the only Yankee half-miler ever to run. Note that I’m leading the XR750 HD in one of the pics. And the beautiful red, white and blue Yankee Motor Company leathers. Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

Stay tuned for next Wednesday’s post….A Love Story. I’m not kidding.

7 comments:

  1. Great story, Robert! I love hearing about obscure old bikes like the Yankee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr Pacman for you nice words. I too like to hear or read about old or new motorcycles. I especially like to set and listen to someone tell a story about their experiences in the world of motorcycling, after all no matter what we ride---we are still just one big family of scooter trash. SMILE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that Astrodome race weekend. It kills me to see someone in Clarice's 'ol ABC Leathers. Nice story, let's have some more.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey it's gonna let me post now, Definitely enjoyed the story and the photos. I see that's Teddy Poovey on the XR you are leading. Who is the other rider 98N looks like? Great site and really love the flattrack stories. The dualsport rides look mighty inviting to. lol Keep up the great work as I plan to check back often

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Robert, I would like to share one of my motorcycle adventures. In 1970 my new husband and I rode a 300 Triamph from Rhome Tx to Redlands CA. He rigged a makeshift sissybar so I wouldn't fall off. We slept in a couple of roadside parks, blew a fuse and had our jackets stolen in New Mexico, broke down & repaired in Pheonix. Like to have sufficated from Pheonix to Blyth (through the desert in mid-afternoon in July was a bad idea). Refreshed on A&W Rootbeer then went on to be blasted in a sand storm. We made safe and sound though and I would do it again in a heart beat!!
    A former Hurst jr High classmate - Jane (Stevenson) Smith
    Glad to hear you are doing well & I remember your 305 Honda, white, full dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, so good to hear from you and I loved that story of yours. Are you still riding?
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robert you were one of my first hero's. My father was Wayne Fisher and we would hide in your van to get into the pits.Thank you for the great memories! !! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete