Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Clutched in the Jaws of Winter

Well, here we are, January 2009, and the Southern cruisers had their annual Polar Bear Ride on New Year’s Day. The turnout was pretty good at 50, and it was made up of different chapters and riding groups. It’s real hard to say Polar Bear Ride when the high temp of the day was 80. You’ve just got to love thisTexas weather, 80 on the 1st and then the electricity at my home was out for 16 hours on the 5th due to ice. Oh well, they say that variety is the spice of life.

Since we do ride all year round here in Texas, and sometimes the weather is quite cold, I wanted to tell you how I survive comfortably on these cold days. ELECTRIC GEAR--I have used the electrics with a great deal of success. I use them for both street and dual sport riding. There are a large number of brands to choose from, about ten if you count what you can get out of Canada. Out of the ten, eight are priced about the same. I personally have used two different brands and my friend Mark uses a third. The one that most of us use is Gerbing, which has kept a big wuss like me very comfortable on all my cold rides. I have a multitude of jackets and with the Gerbing jacket liner I was able to remove all the liners and store them away and use just the Gerbing liner. It also doubles as a light jacket for kicking around in after the ride. It is also washable and has a life time guarantee on it. With the liner you don’t have to fool around with extra wire,s as it has the wires for the gloves built into the sleeve, unlike the heated vest where you run wires down your jacket sleeve.

GLOVES—I also use Gerbing gloves because they are so supple. I prefer the classic model with the gauntlet for extra warmth and wind protection at the sleeve area.

This is what I have learned about fit. The liner needs to be of a snug fit so as to transfer the heat to the core of the body, but use caution with the gloves so as to not get them too tight. The gloves need to be just a little looser then your other gloves. I find that the next size up works for my buddies and me. When you pull or squeeze on the handlebars, your gloves pull up tight to your fingers and hand. I suggest that you need a little extra room from the heating elements and your fingers so as not to have any hot spots or feel the wires.

TEST—A test that I have tried a multitude of times to prove how important it is to keep the body core warm: While out riding in temperatures of 25 to 32, I will be comfortable all the way down to my feet. I just turn off the electric heat and within a short few minutes my feet and legs start to get cold, and next my hands and arms get cold. I turn the heat back on and the whole body starts to warm back up by pumping warm blood from the heated core to my extremities.

So here is how I dress for those cold rides:

· Warm socks that wick moisture away from my feet and Alpine Star boots.
· Long underwear with the Joe Rocket Ballistic overpant.
· Long-sleeved shirt made of cotton under my heated Gerbing Jacket liner, topped off by the jacket choice of the day.
· A full face helmet,
· then my electric gloves and I’m ready for all weather including rain since all the outerwear including the boots are waterproof.

One other thing is that when you are warm, dry and comfortable, you are a more alert and a safer rider. Remember: dress to slide and enjoy the ride.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lee,

    I heard you might be selling your ST1100 and getting a large Honda Goldwing.

    I think the relaxed ride of the Wing might be more suitable for you.

    Enjoy the Goldwing!

    Chuck Adama

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Chuck, where did you hear such a malicious rumor as that, it must be that Larry P. I'm not that old and slow yet, am I? REL

    ReplyDelete