Wednesday, November 26, 2008

CT90 - Honda's Original Dualsport 1964-1979

Oh, how we all look back to our youth and wish we could still have that old car or motorcycle we made so many memories with, both good and bad. I have fond memories of the little step-through Hondas of the 60s and 70s. So many of us rode our Honda 50cc and 90cc bikes all over town. What fun we had! Many years ago, I was looking through the motorcycle ads when one particular ad caught my eye:

Moving to Florida
Must sell 3 m/c $250

It was a very cold and rainy night when I called. An older gentleman answered the phone and the first question I asked was "Is that $250 each?" And he said, "No, for the 3." My interest peaked. My next question was, "What are the motorcycles you're selling?" Much to my surprise, he said he didn't know. Can anyone say "pig in a poke"? Now, my mind was racing with anticipation like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to open his gifts. I ask for directions to his house and the older gentleman said - "It's too cold and wet to go out to the old dark barn, so come by tomorrow." Well, I knew in my heart that someone else would get there before me, and I thought, why not roll the dice? I told the man that I would take the bikes, sight unseen, and I would be there in 30 minutes to give him the cash.

My son Austin was 9 years old at the time, and he rode with me into the cold night. When we arrived at our destination, I gave Austin the $250 cash and told him to go to the door and give the man the money and say we will be back first thing in the morning. Gee, I do ramble on...

The next morning, as we pulled into the driveway, we saw a Honda SL175 all covered in dust and dirt. I thought, if this is one of the 3, I'm home free on my $250 investment. Happily, it was! The next bike out of the barn brings us back to our story - a 1978 CT90 with 2500 miles on it. I took the little CT90 and did all the standard things one must do to a motorcycle that has set up for years and, voila, my wife now had a trail bike. Debi never took to the dirt, so a few years later, I sold it to a man who lived out in the country. End of story, or so I thought.

Thirteen years later (August 2008), I was riding in the outback and happened by the house of the man I sold the CT90 to. I stopped and talked for a while, then asked the question, "What did you ever do with that old CT90?" "Oh, it's all apart laying in the barn, do you want to buy it back?" *SMILE* After a lot of love and care, it doesn't look so bad, does it? *MORE SMILES*

2 comments:

  1. So, what was the third bike?
    Just curious.
    The story was enchanting enough to
    discover that I lost count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl, thanks for the question---the third bike was a Can-Am 250cc Sammy Miller trials bike which by itself is a whole 'nother story. REL

    ReplyDelete